Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf (aka Chris' favorite meal - EVER!)

One thing I learned about my husband early on is he loves meatloaf! He would it for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday if I let him. So I am always trying to find different ways to make meatloaf. Another food my husband loves is cheese burgers. So you can imagine my excitement when a few years ago I saw Paula Deen make a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf! And it was right before his birthday...so I surprised him and made it for his birthday. Ever since then it has been his "go to" meal when I ask him if he wants anything special for dinner.

Anyway, this week has been rough for us. Chris had to have hernia surgery on Thursday. He knew he'd be in recovery for a few days at the hospital (where I sit now...) so I told him I'd make him his favorite meal before the surgery - anything he wanted. Of course he picked bacon cheeseburger meatloaf. I didn't have time to take photos (it's been a crazy week) and instead of waiting until the next time I make it I thought I'd share it now (can you tell I'm bored at the hospital???) using Paula Deen's photo.

I've of course adapted because like I've said before - I feel guilty making Paula Deen recipes full force will all that fat. The cool thing about this recipe is that even though it looks scary and fattening - there are so many ways to cut back the fat. Here is the original recipe if you're feeling adventurous.


Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
Servings: 4
WW Points: 9ish

1 lb ground beef (I use 95% fat free)
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I use turkey bacon or if I am feeling naughty I use the ready-to-use microwave bacon)
8 oz reduced fat shredded cheese
1/2 cup of egg substitute (equivalent of 2 eggs)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup fat free mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
Handful of French fried onions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and next 8 ingredients, mixing well.

In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and mustard. Stir 1/4 cup ketchup mixture into meat mixture, reserving remaining ketchup mixture.

Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place on a rack in a broiler pan. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Top with French fried onions; bake another 10 to 15 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.


I serve this with mashed potatoes and a crisp salad then wait for my husband to tell me how he worships the ground on walk on for making this. That's when I put on my best smile and say "Can I have a back rub????"

Note: Paula Deen says you can put this in a loaf pan if you want but I highly discourage it. I did that the first time and it was so greasy because of the cheddar cheese. So it's best to use some sort of rack where the oil/grease can stay away from the loaf.

No comments: